In 1884, Booth was instrumental in establishing Bethany Episcopal Mission, now known as the Sts. Mary and Martha of Bethany Episcopal Church. In 1886, the mission was chartered with Booth as senior warden; and in 1891, the present building was dedicated. A lifelong Episcopalian with Anglican roots going back to his British birthplace, Booth helped organize Manhattan's St. Paul's Episcopal Church in 1858. Booth's devotion to the church was only deepened by his 1867 marriage to Lucy Preston, the daughter of St. Paul's rector, the Rev. N.O. Preston, one of the leading lights of the Episcopal Church in early Kansas.
From Site #6, proceed north on Main Street three and three-fourths blocks to Site #7 at the northwest comer of 8th and Main Streets. While the exterior of the structure has been modified, the interior of the original sanctuary maintains much of its original integrity.
Other Markers by the Wet/Dry Routes Chapter
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.