"Fort Hays, Kansas"
USGS Aerial Photograph

Fort Hays Ellis County Kansas

Fort Hays, Ellis County, Kansas on the Fort Hays/Fort Dodge Road. Fort Hays was relocated to this location as a U. S. Army post in June 1867 from it's original location on Big Creek south of Walker, Kansas. The first location was called Fort Fletcher and was established October 11, 1865. Fort Fletcher was abandoned on May 5, 1866. On October 17, 1866 Fort Fletcher was regarrisoned by Company C, Third U.S. Infantry. The second site was located several hundred yards northeast of the first location, on the right bank of the North Fork of Big Creek. Fort Fletcher became Fort Hays on November 17, 1866. This location on Big Creek was prone to flooding and was moved to it's present location. The present Fort Hays at Hays, Kansas was officially occupied on June 23, 1867. The marker is located on the south end of the Visitors Center parking lot.

Fort Hays Ellis County Kansas

"The Directory of Santa Fe Trail Sites"




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"