With their indepth research of the Santa Fe Trail, the Wet/Dry Routes Chapter felt some sites and trails needed more information. With this in mind the Chapter has placed in prominent locations along the Santa Fe Trail, "Interpretive Markers" to do just that. On these pages you will find a photo of the markers and the text placed on them.
The Fort Hays/Fort Dodge Road
THE WESTERN TERMINUS
OF THE FORT HAYS-FORT DODGE ROAD
In the fall of 1867, the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Road was developed to transport merchandise, mail and passengers from the newly founded railhead at Hays City to Fort Dodge and on the Santa Fe via the established route of the Santa Fe Trail. Thus, the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Road became the far eastern leg of the Santa Fe Trail for a brief period of eight months until the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division pushed westward from Hays City to Sheridan City in June 1868.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.