FORT UNION
Historic Resource Study
NPS Logo

APPENDIX D:
FORT UNION POST SUTLERS AND TRADERS [1]

     These merchants were officially known as post sutlers until 1867 and as post traders until the system was abolished at the end of the 1880s. The position of post trader at Fort Union was abolished in 1889, but the last trader may have operated there into 1890. In October 1890, just a few months before Fort Union was abandoned, a post canteen (operated by the army to replace the old trader system and forerunner of what became the post exchange) was established at the post and functioned until the post was closed in 1891.

Jared W. Folger, September 27, 1851 to September 26, 1854
Ceran St. Vrain, October 6, 1854 to August 11, 1856
George M. Alexander, December 31, 1856 to December 31, 1859
William H. Moore, March 26, 1859 to December 31, 1866
C. W. Adams, April 17, 1866 to April 17, 1869
John C. Dent, October 6, 1870 to April 12, 1878
Crayton H. Conger, April 9, 1878 to death, no date
Arthur W. Conger, July 17, 1880 to September 28, 1881
Frank G. Jager, September 28, 1881 to February 8, 1882
Arthur W. Conger, February 8, 1882 to January 17, 1884
Werner Fabian, January 17, 1884 to February 27, 1885
Arthur W. Conger, February 27, 1885 to October 14, 1885
Edward P. Woodbury, October 14, 1885 to no date given [2]

     1. Compiled by Dale F. Giese, Soldiers at Play: A History of Social Life at Fort Union, New Mexico, 1851-1891 (Ph.D. Dissertation, University of New Mexico, 1969), 71-72.

     2. Woodbury's store was destroyed by fire in December 1889. The business opened in another building and operated until sometime in 1890.

Fort Union Index




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"