DAR Marker Locations
State of Kansas
on the
Santa Fe Trail
"1997 Survey"

"Johnson County"

     "Overland Park"
DAR Marker Number 1; Is near the Strang Line Station in the downtown area, on Westport Road, at the northeast corner of 80th and Santa Fe Trail Drive.
Section 30, Township 12 South, Range 25 East

     "Lenexa"
DAR Marker Number 2; The original location was 1 1/4 miles south of the city, at the top of the divide, where there was a military campground on the Westport Road. Currently, the Marker is in the park near the old Santa Fe Depot, near the southwest corner of Noland Road and Santa Fe Trail Drive.
Section 34, Township 12 South, Range 24 East

     "Mahaffie Farmstead & Stagecoach Stop"
DAR Marker Number 2a; The 15 acre site is part of the original 570 acre farm owned by J. B. Mahaffie and was a Stagecoach Stop on the Santa Fe Trail from 1865 to 1869, serving three lines. The bronze plaque on the flag pole base, provided through the efforts of the Regents Round Table of Johnson and Wyandotte Counties and the City of Olathe, Kansas was dedicated September 17, 1988. 1100 Kansas City Road, Olathe, Kansas.
Section 25, Township 13 South, Range 23 East

     "Lone Elm"
DAR Marker Number 3; The Marker sits on the northwest corner of the Lone Elm Campground. Travelers starting their journeys from Independence, Missouri on the Santa Fe Trail or the Oregon Trail used this campground, which was generally reached the first night out. The campground covered approximately 80 acres. In the early days the campground was also known as Elm Grove and Round Grove. From Susan Magoffin's diary, we learn that by 1846, only one elm tree remained. It stood on a small incline near the creek. There was sufficient water for the animals and the grass grew as tall as a man's waist. This water was from a spring within the campground. The Marker, moved out of the right of way and placed on a new base was rededicated on September 8, 1997. Southeast corner 167th Street and Lone Elm Road, Olathe, Kansas.
Section 23, Township 14 South, Range 23 East

     "Olathe"
DAR Marker Number 4; This was the rendezvous point for Kansas Soldiers during the Price Raid in 1864. The Marker, a special gray granite incorporating the Bronze Plaque designed by the Kansas City, Missouri Daughters and adapted to Kansas, was erected by Johnson County and the Old Setters Association. In 1907 the large gray granite Santa Fe Trail Marker was placed on the east side of the courthouse grounds between the buildings at Cherry and Santa Fe Trail Drive.
Section 35, Township 13 South, Range 23 East

     "Sunflower School"
DAR Marker Number 5; This Marker was placed on the school grounds to commemorate pre-Civil War/Border Ruffian Days. The Marker is engraved with a 3. In September 1997 the base was repaired and the lettering on the face was redone. It sits on the north side of U.S. 56 and 151st Street and Lakeshore Road, enclosed in a heavy rope triangle, between Olathe and Gardener, Kansas.
Section 9, Township 14 South, Range 23 East

     "Gardner, Kansas"
DAR Marker Number 6; This Marker commemorates the spot where the Three Trails West divided and area Civil War conflicts. The Marker, a special gray granite which incorporated the adapted Kansas City, Missouri Daughters Bronze Plaque, was erected by the Old Settlers of Gardner, Kansas. US 56 to North Elm North to East Shawnee, on the northeast corner of North Elm and East Shawnee on the school grounds.
Section 24, Township 14 South, Range 22 East

     "Lanesfield"
DAR Marker Number 7; This marker is engraved with the number 2, meaning that it was the second marker set in 1907. It sits on the old Lanesfield school grounds, near Bull Creek Crossing and the site of the Battle of Bull Creek, at a spot remembered by all Trail travelers, it isn't far from where the Three Trails West separated. A branch of the Johnson County Museum, Langsfield School and KCPL's Nature Preserve adjoin the Marker. To reach it use US 56 to 191st west to Dillie Road, North to Lanesfield School.
Section 32, Township 14 South, Range 22 East

"Douglas County"

     "Black Jack"
DAR Marker Number 8; This is a historic battle site. John Brown with Captain Shore's Co. from Prairie City, the Palmyra force and Captain Bill's Black Jack Rangers forced Col. H. Clay Pate and his Missouri Raiders to surrender on June 2, 1856. The ruts at Black Jack are still very prominent, entering the area known as "The Narrows" a ridge separating the waters of the Wakarusa and the Marais des Cygnes. South side of US 56, 2 1/2 miles east of Baldwin, Kansas, this is a Kansas Historical Site.
Section 7, Township 15 South, Range 21 East

     "Trail Park"
DAR Marker Number 9; The Marker was placed by the Lawrence and Ottawa Chapters on October 11, 1907 in Trail Park on the Trail. After Free-State Leaders and Missourians clashed at Black Jack, Gov. Shannon requested Government troops. Col. Sumner responded on June 5, 1856 sending belligerents home and releasing the prisoners taken by John Brown on the 2nd. West side of Baldwin, Kansas, US 56 to Douglas, County 1055 north 1/2 mile on the west side in Trail Park.
Section 33, Township 14 South, Range 20 East

     "Palmyra" {Near Baldwin, Kansas}
DAR Marker Number 10; This was the first important "Repair Stop" on the Tail where many blacksmiths and wagon makers were kept busy. East side of Baldwin, Kansas, US 56 to Eisenhower, north to North Quayle, the Marker sits in front of the High School.
Section 34, Township 14 South, Range 20 East

     "Brooklyn"
DAR Marker Number 11; This Marker marks the horrors of the retreat from Lawrence, Kansas after Quantrill's August 21, 1863 Raid. The Trading Post was destoryed. US 56 to US 59, north 2 1/2 miles, east 2 miles where the road ends.
Section 19, Township 14 South, Range 20 East

     "Willow Spring"
DAR Marker Number 12; The town was robbed and burned by Col. Pate in early 1856. The first postmaster was appointed in 1855, at that time the town was called Davis. US 56 to US 59, north 2 1/2 miles, west 2 miles to end of the road.
Section 21, Township 14 South, Range 19 East

     "Globe"
DAR Marker Number 13; A similar fate befell this village, once called Marion. It was established in 1856 and destoryed by Quantrill in 1863. US 56 to Douglas County 1029, north one mile on the west side of the road.
Section 34, Township 14 South, Range 18 East

     "Flag Spring"
DAR Marker Number 14; This marks a watering place midway between Globe and Overbrook, Kansas. Simmons Point Stage Station is 2 1/2 miles east. The actual Flag Spring was about a mile north. South side of US 56, one mile east of Douglas/Osage County Line.
Section 2, Township 15 South, Range 17 East

"Osage County"

     "Overbrook"
DAR Marker Number 15; A campground and watering place. US 56 to Maple, south past Santa Fe in front of the Post Office.
Section 5, Township 15 South, Range 17 East

     "Scranton"
DAR Marker Number 16; The Marker was placed in the park and rededicated September 8, 1978. US 56 to Boyle, south to Boone, in the northeast corner of Jones Park.
Section 3, Township 15 South, Range 15 East

     "110 Mile Creek" {Carbondale}
DAR Marker Number 17; The marker is near the crossing of 110 Mile Creek and McGee/Harris Stage Station, 110 miles from Fort Osage, Missouri. Four Corners, one half mile south of US 56 and US 75 Junction, on the west side of the highway.
Section 6, Township 15 South, Range 16 East

     "Burlingame"
DAR Marker Number 18; The well in the center of town was the only watering place for miles in the dry season, near Switzler Creek Crossing. This special Marker was placed in September, 1906 by the Topeka Chapter, DAR in memory of Fannie Geiger Thompson, whose idea it was to mark the Santa Fe Trail. This was the first Marker placed on the Santa Fe Trail. Originally at the old well, it now sits on the school grounds. The marker was rededicated September, 1992. US 56/KS 31 junction, west on Santa Fe {KS 31} to Dacotah, southwest corner of Santa Fe and Dacotah on the school grounds.
Section 15, Township 15 South, Range 14 East

     "Dragoon Creek Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 19; The marker is across the road from Havanna Stage Station and near Pvt. Samuel Hunt's grave where the Santa Fe Railroad passed over the old ford. North side of KS 31, 4 1/2 miles west of Burlingame, Kansas.
Section 12, Township 15 South, Range 13 East

"Wabunsee County"

     "Wilmington"
DAR Marker Number 20; The Leavenworth and Westport Roads united east of town. A stone hotel built in 1858 was near the Marker and the school house built in 1870 still stands nearby. KS 31, 1/2 mile west of the Wabaunsee/Osage County Line, south .7 mile, west 1/2 mile on the north side of the road, in front of the abandon school.
Section 15, Township 15 South, Range 13 East

"Lyon County"

     "Elm Creek Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 21; The Marker sits near the creek crossing north of Admire, Kansas. US 56 to KS 99, north past Road 380 .2 mile on the west side of the road.
Section 29, Township 15 South, Range 12 East

     "142 Mile Creek"
DAR Marker Number 22; Near the Old Allen, Kansas townsite, it is 142 miles from Fort Osage, Missouri. A toll bridge was operated from 1860 into the 1870's. The charge was 25 cents per wagon. This marker has a new base and was rededicated in May, 1995. US 56 to Road M, north to Road 370, east .3 mile on the south side of the road.
Section 1, Township 16 South, Range 11 East

     "Agnes City"
DAR Marker Number 23; The Cemetery is all that remains at the townsite of Agnes City, Kansas. The Marker sits near the flag pole, nearby trail ruts are still visible. US 56 to Road E, North 1.8 miles on the west side of the road.
Section 3, Township 16 South, Range 10 East

"Morris County"

     "Rock Creek Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 24; The Marker was placed on the Santa Fe School grounds, near the house and trading post of A. L. Baker, who was killed by the Bill Anderson gang on July 3, 1862. US 56 to 200 Road, north .2 mile on the east side of the road.
Section 12, Township 16 South, Range 9 East

     "Council Oak" {Council Grove}
DAR Marker Number 25; This was a treaty signing site, know as the Grove or the Oak Grove. Sibley met with the Osage Tribe, August 10, 1825 and made a treaty for the right of way to the Trail. Inscribed on both sides, the Marker was dedicated on the eighty-second anniversary of the treaty, August 10, 1907. This settlement was a major repair and supply rendezvous, where all caravans camped and combined forces to make a more solid front against the Indians on the western plains. In Council Grove, one block east of the US 56/KS 177 junction on the north side.
Section 14, Township 16 South, Range 8 East

     "Madonna of the Trail in Council Grove"
DAR Marker Number 25a; In 1928, this monument was placed by the National Society DAR, to mark the National Old Trails Road of which the Santa Fe Trail is part. A pioneer mother was chosen as a symbol of conquering of the wilderness & establishing permanent homes. US 56/KS 177 junction on the northeast corner.
Section 14, Township 16 South, Range 8 East

     "Trail Crossing" {Council Grove}
DAR Marker Number 26; The Marker was originally 5 miles west of town on a high divide where the Trail crossed the section lines. Plans are being made to return it to its original location in Section 18/19, Township 16 South, Range 7 East before the 1999 Santa Fe Trail Symposium. East side of Council Grove, Kansas on Washunga Hill, US 56 to Old Highway 4, north to Old Highway 56, west one half mile on the north side of the curve.
Section 13, Township 16 South, Range 8 East

     "Wilsey"
DAR Marker Number 27; Originally 3/4 mile southeast of the railway station at Wilsey, Kansas it was moved farther out along the Trail. The Marker needs to be relettered. Even though it looks precarious the Marker and base are solid. The barbed wire fence rubs the Marker and this is a concern of the DAR. US 56 to 1900 Road, south 2 miles on the east side of the road.
Section 32, Township 16 South, Range 7 East

     "Diamond Spring"
DAR Marker Number 28; The "Diamond of the Plains" was a favorite campground and rendezvous point for small wagon trains banding together for protection from marauding Indians. It marks the end of Anderson's Raid in 1862. The springs may have been used by pre-historic tribes and visited by 16th century Spanish explorers. West of here was the home of the Cheyenne, Comanche and Kiowa. This Marker was set, with the first formal public dedication in the state, April 25, 1907, near the head of Diamond Creek on the then Whitingion in the state, April 25, 1907, near the head of Diamond Creek on the then Whiting Ranch. US 56 to 2200 Road, south 2.2 miles west one mile on the Diamond Creek Ranch.
This Marker is on "Private Property" and should be treated as such!
Section 34, Township 16 South, Range 6 East

     "Six Mile Stage Station"
DAR Marker Number 29; North of Burdick, Kansas this large stone stage station, at the head of Six-Mile Creek, was a rest stop on the Santa Fe Trail. With the Trail ruts still visible, the Marker was dedicated on October 9, 1908. A box of mementos of the day was placed under the Marker. This time capsule was opened in 1993 and all the contents had disintegrated. Thomas Atkinson, one of the first settlers on the Trail in this area, recounted the 1863 Cheyenne raid on the station. From here travelers began to see the animal life of the prairies especially the great buffalo herds. US 56 to 2800 Road, south 4.2 miles on the east side.
Section 2, Township 17 South, Range 5 East

"Marion County"

     "Lost Spring"
DAR Marker Number 30; The Marker was originally in the park near the Rock Island and Santa Fe Railroad Depot. It was moved in November, 1908 to its present location on the Trail. East side of US 56/77, one mile east and one mile north of the town of Lost Springs, Kansas.
Section 12, Township 17 South, Range 4 East

     "Lost Spring"
DAR Marker Number 31; This Marker was placed by the Wichita, Kansas Chapter in The city of Park, Kansas, on November 14, 1908. Mrs. W. E. Stanley, during whose Regency the Santa Fe Trail was marked, was a member of this Chapter and the Marker was placed in her honor. It is a large stone, with one of the Bronze plaques. Lost Spring, which is actually 2 1/2 miles west of the village of Lost Springs, was a major watering place and campground. The Spring failed to flow at certain times of the year or it could have been covered by the Indians to discourage the Whiteman from crossing the Plains. There was something mysterious about it running for some and dry for others. During the 1840's the Army planted watercress and strawberries to supplement the military diet and help prevent scurvy. The watercress still grows today. Later, a hotel and tavern were built near this location. The area became known for its illicit activities, at least 11 murders occurred here. The bronze plaque was cleaned and reglazed and the Marker was rededicated Sepember 27, 1996. US 56/77 to Lost Springs, Chicago Avenue, north on Smith to the City Park.
Section 14, Township 17 South, Range 4 East

     "Lost Spring"
DAR Marker Number 31a; The Marion County Old Settlers didn't like where the DAR Markers were placed. So they placed their own at the Spring on July 4, 1908.
Section 20, Township 17 South, Range 4 East

     "Trail Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 31b; School District #90 also placed a marker very similar to and often confused with the DAR Markers. It sits on the Ramona Road to Tampa, where the Trail crosses.
Section 23, Township 17 South, Range 3 East

     "Tampa, Kansas"
DAR Marker Number 31c; There is another Old Settler stone at the northeast corner of the town of Tampa. Mrs. George Thacher Guernsey, then KSDAR Regent and later President General, NSDAR, attended this dedication in 1914.
Section 25, Township 17, Range 2 East

     "Cottonwood Crossing" {Cottonwood Grove}
DAR Marker Number 32; This was a river/creek crossing and campground. Nearby, Moore's Ranch was the site of the first trading-post/post office in Marion County, Northwest of Durham, Kansas. It is off the road and hard to spot, recently completed road construction has made it even more so. There is a very visible Santa Fe Trail marker on the opposite side of the road and it should be used as a landmark. The Marker needs to be relettered and elevated to make it more visible. KS 15 to Durham's 5th or 6th Street, this turns into a county road, west 1.6 miles on the north side of the road.
Section 7, Township 18 South, Range 2 East

     "Waldeck" {French Frank's}
DAR Marker Number 33; The Marker is east of the abandon townsite, northwest of Lehigh, Kansas, directly on the Trail. This is a not so traveled road to the Marker and caution should be used in wet weather. Outstanding ruts are directly behind the Marker to the south. KS 15, 3 miles south of Durham, Kansas 5 miles west, 1/2 mile south, 1/2 mile west on the south side of the road.
Section 4, Township 19 South, Range 1 West

"McPherson County"

     "Jones Cemetery"
DAR Marker Number 34; East of Canton, Kansas, this is the site of Ed Miller's grave. He was killed by Cheyenne in 1865 and buried beside the Santa Fe Trail on land owned by M. M. Jones. The Marker sits in front of Miller's tombstone. His grave was the start of a small country cemetery. US 56, 1 mile west of the McPherson/Marion County Line, north 1/2 mile, on the south side of the railroad tracks, turn east 1/4 mile to the grove of trees in the center of the field.
Section 24, Township 19 South, Range 1 West

     "Canton"
DAR Marker Number 35; The Marker is 1 mile south of Canton directly on the Santa Fe Trail. On several occasions it has been reported as north of Canton. This Marker has sat at this location for 90 years and is one of the few that hasn't been moved. US 56 to Canton, Kansas, south .7 mile on the east side of the road.
Section 27, Township 19 South, Range 1 West

     "McPherson"
DAR Marker Number 36; The Marker is south of the city on the Santa Fe Trail. It is near Dry Turkey Creek Crossing. US 56 to Main Street, south past Old 81, one mile on the east side of the road.
Section 9, Township 20 South, Range 3 West

     "Dry Turkey Creek Crossing" {McPherson/Rice County Line}
DAR Marker Number 37; The Marker was moved to the McPherson/Rice County Line several years ago. It is on the Trail near Camp Grierson but no longer marks the Dry Turkey Creek Crossing south of McPherson, Kansas. US 56 to McPherson/Rice County Line, or Plum Avenue, south 5 miles on the southeast corner of Plum and Dakota, McPherson County Side.
Section 19, Township 20 south, Range 5 West

     "Sora/Kansas Creek"
DAR Marker Number 38; Originally at the Kaw Treaty site, the Marker is south of Elyria, Kansas in a road side park. It is a special Marker inscribed on both sides. One side has the usual inscription, the other side "Sora Kansas Creek Near this spot August 16, 1825 The Treaty was made with the Kansas Indians for the right of way of the Trail" The Marker was set with special services, Friday, August 23, 1907, in connection with the annual reunion of the Old Settlers of McPherson County. An attempt is being made to return the Marker to the Treaty site in Section 21, Township 20 South, Range 3 West before April, 1998. It was relettered in Spring, 1997. Old 81, one half mile southeast of Elyria, Kansas on the west side of the road in a little turnout under the Kansas Historic Site marker.
Section 26, Township 20 South, Range 3 West

     "Windom"
DAR Marker Number 39; The Marker is south of the village and east of the Little Arkansas River Crossing on the Santa Fe Trail. US 56 to Windom, Kansas, south 4.3 miles on the east side of the road, southeast corner.
Section 18, Township 20 South, Range 5 West
GPS: 38-18-13N/097-55-29W

"Rice County"

     "Stone Corral"
DAR Marker Number 40; This Marker sits west of the military post/campground/stage station and the Lower Little Arkansas River Crossing on the Santa Fe Trail. US 56 to Plum Avenue, or the McPherson/Rice County Line, south 5 miles to Ave P, Rice County Side, west 1 1/2 miles on the south side.
Section 23, Township 20, Range 6 West
GPS: 38-18-16N/097-57-01W

     "Stone Corral"
DAR Marker Number 40a; The Sterling Chapter's Stone Corral Marker. Avenue P to 30th Road, North 1/2 mile on the east side.
Section 13, Township 20 South, Range 6 West
GPS: 38-18-29N/097-56-36W

     "Little Arkansas River Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 40b; The Uvedale Chapter's Little Arkansas River Crossing Marker sits opposite the "Marker Cottonwood" in the field 1/2 mile east of the Sterling Chapter Marker by the river.
Section 13, Township 20 South Range 5 West

     "Jarvis Creek Crossing" {Chavez}
DAR Marker Number 41; North of Saxman on the Santa Fe Trail, Jose Antonio Chavez was robbed and executed by Missouri bandits near this location. US 56 to 22nd Road, south 2 miles to Avenue M, west 2 miles to 20th Road, south 2 1/2 miles on the east side of the road.
Section 17, Township 20 South, Range 7 West
GPS: 38-18-48N/098-07-40W

     "Lyons" {Sterling Chapter Marker}
DAR Marker Number 42; This Marker is often mistaken as the first Marker on the Santa Fe Trail, it wasn't. The Marker at Burlingame, Kansas, Marker Number 18, was the first one placed on the Santa Fe Trail. However, this one may have been the second. This was a special Marker placed by the Sterling Chapter of the DAR, the Citizens and Clubs of Rice County. It is on the Santa Fe Trail and was redone and landsaped in the year of the 175th Anniversary of the Santa Fe Trail. US 56 to KS 14, south past American Road .4 mile on the west side of the highway.
Section 9, Township 20 South, Range 8 West
GPS: 38-19-40N/098-12-08W

     "Cow Creek Crossing" {Buffalo Bill's Well}
DAR Marker Number 43; William "Buffalo Bill" Mathewson's trading post and well was the site of a five day siege in July, 1864. When Kiowa tried to overrun the post Mathewson stopped them by firing a small cannon into their midst. Cow Creek was a problem crossing and Mathewson built a toll bridge across it on his ranch. US 56 to 12th Road, south 1 mile on the west side of the road.
Section 2, Township 20 South, Range 9 West
GPS: 38-20-01N/098-16-32W

     "Plum Buttes"
DAR Marker Number 44; The three sand dunes covered with plum bushes were a well known landmark on the Santa Fe Trail. The 1867 Huning Massacre occurred in the vicinity. The Kansas winds that formed the dunes blew them away in the past century and little remains of them today. The Marker was returned to this site and rededicated on September 18, 1996. US 56 to 2nd Road, north one mile to Ave L, on the northeast corner of L and 2nd.
Section 29, Township 19 South, Range 10 West
GPS: 36-21-43N/098-27-41W

     "Rice County 175th Anniversary"
DAR Marker Number 45 {#97};
This Marker was decdicated with a bit of ceremony during the Kansas Historical Society's "42 Days Along the Trail" programs in July, 1996 and again during Fall Tour 1996 with the Historian General, Jane Rehl, in attendance. The Marker was placed on the Ralph Hathaway farm at the site commonly known as Ralph's Ruts, where seven undisturbed swales remain. It commemorates the 175th Anniversary of the Santa Fe Trail and the stewardship of the Trail. The 1867 Huning massacre occurred in the vicinity. US 56 to 4th Road, north 3/4 mile on the east side.
Section 34, Township 19 South, Range 10 West
GPS: 38-21-33N/098-25-28W

     "Chase"
DAR Marker Number 46; The Marker is on the Santa Fe Trail. US 56 to 8th Road, south one mile on the west side of the road.
Section 6, Township 20 South, Range 9 West
GPS: 38-20-01N/098-20-59W

"Barton County"

     "Ellinwood"
DAR Marker Number 47; The Marker sits near the Trail. The great campground at the Big Bend was in the southwest part of Ellinwood, Kansas. US 56, two blocks west of the stop light in front of the Methodist Church.
Section 31, Township 19 South, Range 11 West
GPS: 38-21-15N/098-35-08W

     "Fort Zarah"
DAR Marker Number 47a; An Old Spanish Cannon was placed by Barton County residents using money collected by Barton County school children on Trail Day. The cannon, a howitzer weighing 3500 pounds, was mounted on a masonry pedestal seven feet high. The cannon no longer exists as it was melted down during World War II. George W. Martin in his Kansas Historical Society minutes counted the cannon as a Marker, Mrs. T. A. Cordry didn't though she did mention it. Other Trail sites near here include the Walnut Creek Crossing and the Allison/Peacock Trading Post. A replacement should be found for the cannon. US 56 1 1/2 miles east of Great Bend, Kansas on the north side, A Kansas Historical Society Site.
Section 25, Township 19 South Range 13 West
GPS: 38-21-54N/098-42-50W

     "Bend of the Arkansas" {Tombstone Park, Great Bend, Kansas}
DAR Marker Number 48; This Marker was placed near the Big Bend of the Arkansas River. US 56/156 on the southwest corner of 10th and Pine Streets.
Section 34, Township 19 South, Range 13 West
GPS: 38-21-43N/098-45-04W

     "Great Bend"
DAR Marker Number 49; Originally at the Santa Fe Depot, the Marker was moved to the west side of the Court House in 1993. The depot had been closed, many local residents thought the Marker was in peril when a nearby business expanded with numerous tractor-trailers coming and going. A renovation of the Courthouse Square afforded the opportunity to have the Marker become part of the new landscaping. The Marker was rededicated May 28, 1994. US 56/156 to Main Street{US 281}, north to the Court House Square on the east side of the road and west side of the building.
Section 28, Township 19 South, Range 13 West
GPS: 38-21-55N/098-45-53W

     "Pawnee Rock"
DAR Marker Number 50; A natural high point along the Santa Fe Trail southwest of the great river bend. It was used by all trail travelers as a lookout. The Marker sits at the gate to Monument Park. It is sometimes missed due to Liac bushes growing in this area next to the Marker. This Marker in inscribed with a "28", assuming that this was the 28th Marker set. US 56/156 to Elrich Highway, north 3/4 mile on the north side of the gate to the park.
Section 33, Township 20 South, Range 15 West
GPS: 38-16-18N/098-58-52W

     "Pawnee Rock" {Bronze Plaque}
DAR Marker Number 51; The Daughters placed a bronze tablet on the east face of Pawnee Rock to commemorate all travelers who stopped to use it as a look out point or to inscribe their names upon it. The Rock had been used from earliest times by the Indian tribes. A battle fought and won by the Pawnee gave the Rock its name. Another battle was waged to save the Rock from being quarried away. In conjunction with other women's clubs, the citizens of Pawnee Rock and the State of Kansas, The Daughters helped raise the money to buy and preserve Pawnee Rock. The formal dedication was held May 24, 1912. The plaque was stolen and replaced again in 1941. US 56 to Ehrlich Highway, north 3/4 mile into the park on the east face of the rock.
Section 33, Township 20 South, Range 15 West
GPS: 38-16-19N/098-58-54W

     "Pawnee Rock" {The Monument}
DAR Marker Number 51a; The south face of the Monument honors the Daughters of the American Revolution for helping to preserve the remains of Pawnee Rock. The Barre granite monument stands thirty feet high atop the Rock. Italian sculptor, Silvestro Caro, in the employee of C. W. Guild of Topeka, created the monument. East of here the trail splits into the Wet/Dry Routes.
Section 33, Township 20 South, Range 15 West
GPS: 38-16-20N/098-58-59W

"Pawnee County"

     "Ash Creek Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 52; The Marker is "near" the crossing. This is the famous spot where Susan Magoffin's carriage upset and she later miscarried the baby she didn't know she was carrying. The Marker has inscribed on the back "Santa Fe Trail" it doesn't sit on the Trail but at a point mid-way between the Wet/Dry Routes. US 56, 3 miles southwest of Pawnee Rock on the south side beteeen the road and the railway.
Section 13, Township 21 South, Range 16 West
GPS: 38-13-24N/099-02-24W

     "Pawnee Creek Crossing"
DAR Marker Number 53; The Marker was first placed in the Larned City Park. In 1910 the Park was closed. The Marker was stored until 1930. The Regent of the Fort Larned Chapter, DAR at that time was the wife of the State Hospital Administrator. She thought it would be a good place for the Marker. So, it was reset on the State Hospital grounds. It was placed at the Pawnee Creek Crossing on the Dry Route. Nearby was the infamous Boyd's Ranch. KS 156 to KS 264, south to the State Hospital grounds, west to the west edge of the grounds.
Section 2, Township 22 South, Range 17 West
GPS: 38-10-26N/099-09-34W

     "Larned Depot"
DAR Marker Number 54; This Marker was described by Cordry and Martin as being placed "in the old Fort Larned burying ground, where the trail passes through the cemetery" The first DAR survey places it at the Santa Fe Depot. If the Marker was ever in the cemetery, it was moved to the deport prior to 1939. It remained there until the depot closed. The Marker was then moved to the little park along Southwest Trail Street. An accident in February, 1997 afforded the opportunity to return it to the Depot, which is considered an original location. The town of Larned "was the out growth of civilization setting near the protection of the soldiers at Old Fort Larned, where the Government had stationed soldiers for the protection of travelers along the Santa Fe Trail, during Indian troubles" Mrs T. A. Cordry. This Marker commemorates the Wet Route which heads towards the southern part of the city following the Arkansas River. The Marker was rededicated September 23, 1997. US 56 to Southwest Trail Street to the old Santa Fe Depot on the west side in the triangle.
Section 32, Township 21 South, Range 16 West
GPS: 38-10-37N/099-05-54W

     "Fort Larned"
DAR Marker Number 55; From 1859 until 1878 this was an outpost in the wilderness, the wind blew, the buffalo roamed and the Plains Tribes attacked. The Federal government stationed soldiers here to protect the travelers along the Santa Fe Trail. The base of the Marker includes the history of Fort Larned. The Marker was moved from the parade ground into the road side park in 1983, so that it would be more visible. The Marker was dedicated September 22, 1983. KS 156 to the Fort Larned Historic Site, east of the park entrance in the shelter area.
Section 32, Township 21 South Range 17 West
GPS: 38-11-16N/099-13-01W

     "Garfield"
DAR Marker Number 56; The Marker sits near the junction of the Fort Larned Military Road and the Wet Route of the Santa Fe Trail. Nearby is Coon Creek Crossing and campground. US 56 and 3rd Street on the north side of the road in the City Park.
Section 1, Township 23 South, Range 18 West
GPS: 38-04-32N/099-14-36W

"Edwards County"

     "Dry Route" {Fort Coon & Larned Airport}
DAR Marker Number 57; The Marker was moved to the Larned Airport in 1950 from the Fort Coon area west of Kinsley, Kansas. In 1996, The number of Markers already in the Larned area warranted the return of this one to Edwards County at the earliest opportunity. That opportunity arose in early 1997. Since this Marker has a history of moving, the decision was to return it to the original location on the Dry Route. The Peace Lutheran Cemetery Board was approached and gave approval to have the Marker moved to the cemetery. It was reset with a new base on November 7, 1997. US 56 to old 183, east side of Kinsley, north 6.7 miles to the Pieace Lutheran Cemetery on the east side.
Section 27, Township 23 South, Range 19 West
GPS: 38-01-43N/099-24-19W

     "Ardell"
DAR Marker Number 58; This marker sits on the Dry Route at the Ardell train stop. US 50/56, 4.7 miles southwest of Kinsley on the south side of the road in a turnout.
Section 3, Township 25 South, Range 20 West
GPS: 37-54-01N/099-30-18W

     "Nettleton Station"
DAR Marker Number 59; The Marker sits near the old train stop of Nettleton on the Wet Route of the Santa Fe Trail. The Marker is in a well kept triangle along the highway. US 56, one mile southwest of the Edwards/Pawnee County Line on the north side of the highway.
Section 7, Township 24 South, Range 18 West
GPS: 37-59-09N/099-20-34W

     "Kinsley"
DAR Marker Number 60; The Marker was originally set in the southeast part of Kinsley, Kansas. Dedicated on September 3, 1907, the 33rd anniversary of the organization of Edwards County, it commemorates the June 18, 1848, Comanche attack on seventy-six Missouri Volunteers on their way to Mexico. The Missourians armed with breech loading carbines fought off three Comanche charges. The Marker was moved at some point to the west side of Kinsley. US 56 and Winchester Street, in the center of the park by the train engine. In 2005 this marker has been moved again. The marker has been moved to near the front door of the Edward County Museum on the east side of the park where it was setting.
Section 32, Township 24 South, Range 19 West
GPS: 37-55-02N/099-25-21W

     "Wet Route" {Offerle}
DAR Marker Number 61; The Marker was originally set on the Wet Route southeast of Offerle along the Arkansas river. In the fall of 1997, we understand that the landowners would like to return it to its original location in Section 35, Township 25 South, Range 20 West. Watch for this Marker to be moved during 1998, as there is a disproportionate number of Markers on the Dry Route and that was not the intent in 1906. US 50/56 to South Walnut on the west edge of Offerle in the tiny park by the Railroad Crossing Sign.
Section 7, Township 25 south, Range 20 West
GPS: 37-53-27N/099-33-41W

"Ford County"

     "Mule Head Hill"
DAR Marker Number 62; The only hill for miles overlooks the great sand dunes in the big bend of the Arkansas. On a clear day, Fort Larned could be seen to the northeast. The Marker is at the apex of the hill in the wheat field. This is multi-generation farm and the family will not consider having "their" Marker moved. To see it you must walk. There is a carving/drawing on the back of the base of a mule's head. US 50/56 to 134th Road, south 2 1/4 miles to the homestead with two houses on the east side, follow the driveway to the south house, the Marker is approximately 100 yards south in the field.
This Marker is on "Private Property" and should be treated as such!
Section 26, Township 25 South, Range 21 West
GPS: 37-50-59N/099-36-15W

     "Spearville"
DAR Marker Number 63; The Marker sits on the Dry Route. The base was replaced and the Marker rededicated September 29, 1993. US 50/56 to 126th Road, south to Jewell Road, 1/2 mile west on the north side of the road.
Section 17, Township 26 South, Range 22 West
GPS: 37-46-40N/099-45-05W

     "Fort Dodge"
DAR Marker Number 64; This Marker commemorates the convergence of the Wet/Dry Routes at this point. Fort Dodge was established on April 10, 1865, to provide escorts through the increasingly hostile Indian country. It was also the southern terminus of the Fort Hays/Fort Dodge Road. Starting in 1867, goods and services were transported overland from the Union Pacific Railroad at Hays, Kansas. This lasted until 1872, when the Santa Fe Railroad reached Dodge City, Kansas. The abandon fort was turned over to the State of Kansas. In 1890 the Kansas State Soldiers Home opened it's doors. The Marker is currently in storage awaiting the completion of road construction. US 50/56 to 117th Road, south 4 miles to US 154, west 3/4 mile on the north side of US 154 1 mile east of Fort Dodge, Kansas.
Section 2, Township 27 South, Range 24 West.

     "Dodge Ctiy"
DAR Marker Number 65; The Marker was placed in front of City Hall in the middle of the Old Trail. A few hundred yards to the east was a great watering-place, as the river swung around and hugged the bank. It was also a great camping ground which afforded good grazing for the livestock. Robert M. Wright selected the place for the Marker, it was only seeming that when the city outgrew the Trail, the Marker was relocated in the park bearing his name. In 1986, the Dodge City Chapter, DAR added a plaque to the base commemorating the area. US 50/56 to 2nd Avenue, south to Wright Park, just before the Arkansas river bridge, west at the main entrance, on the north side of the road.
Section 35, Township 26 South, Range 25 West
GPS: 37-44-58N/100-01-13W

     "High Rock" {Sears, Dodge City/Cowboy Capital}
DAR Marker Number 66; The Marker was originally about 5 miles west of Dodge City, Kansas at High Rock, the first of four Points of Rock along the Santa Fe Trail, over looking the Trail. Until 1846, Mexico was across the Arkansas, to the east was Fort Atkinson, Fort Mann and The Caches. It was moved to the western edge of Dodge City in 1981 when the High Rock was blasted to "smithereens" to make way for road construction. US 50 to Matt Down Lane on the south side by the Kansas Historic State Cowboy Capital Marker.
Section 28, Township 26 South, Range 25 West
GPS: 37-45-14N/100-02-57W

     "Dodge Ctiy Ruts" {Wettick}
DAR Marker Number 67; This Marker was originally in Gray County approximately three miles east of Cimarron on the Trail near Wettick. The reasons for moving this Marker to the Dodge City Ruts were not recorded. The Ruts have been a National Historic Landmak since 1966 and the Boot Hill Museum owns land in the area. It is now a Department of Interior Historical Site Park. The Marker was reset at the renovated entrance to the Trail Ruts during the Summer of 1997. US 50, west of Dodge City 7.3 miles to the turnout on the north side.
Section 18, Township 26 South, Range 26 West
GPS: 37-47-22N/100-11-50W

"Gray County"

     "Cimarron"
DAR Marker Number 68; The Marker commemorates a favorite camping ground. The Cimarron Crossing of the Arkansas River, the original Marker site, was considered halfway between Independence and Santa Fe. The Trail splits into the Cimarron Cut-off or Desert Route and the Mountain Route. This area of the Arkansas is known as Middle Crossing. Most Trail travelers taking the Cimarron Cut-off forded the river here. The journey across the Jornada meant no water for 50 miles and attacks from Kiowa and Comanche. The Marker, moved to near the fairgrounds several years ago. US 50/400 to the west edge of Cimarron, Kansas in front of the American Legion building.
Section 11, Township 26 South Range 28 West

     "Cimarron Cut-Off" {Ingalls}
DAR Marker Number 69; This Marker commemorates the Cimarron Cut-off and the Middle Crossings. It was relettered in the Summer of 1996. US50/400 to Main, south to Kansas, southwest corner of Main and Kansas in the park.
Section 2, Township 26 South, Range 29 West

     "Mountain Route" {Ingalls in front of the Museum}
DAR Marker Number 70; This Marker was moved into Ingalls, Kansas for "safe keeping" when the highway was under construction. The Marker was originally placed on the Mountain Route and it should be returned to Section 23, Township 25 South, Range 29 West. It was relettered the Summer,1996. US 50/400 to Main, south in front of the Depot Museum on the east side of the street.
Section 2, Township 26 South, Range 29 West

"Finney County"

     "Pierceville" {District #7}
DAR Marker Number 71; This is the most sought after Marker on the Santa Fe Trail. Both Cordry and Martin reported it set, no one has seen it since! Traffas and Caupal spent considerable time and energy in trying to locate this Marker.
Section ???, Township ??? South Range ??? West

     "Harmony" {Garden City}
DAR Marker Number 72; The Marker, on the Trail, was originally placed at the Harmony School, District #60, two miles east of Garden City, Kansas with proper ceremony. This location was north of the Trail. US 50 and Campus Drive on the south side by the KHS Marker site.
Section 16, Township 24 South, Range 32 West

     "Garden City/Finnup Park" {School District #1}
DAR Marker Number 73; The Marker was set a short distance south of the Santa Fe Trail. US 50 to US 83, south to Maple, east 2 1/2 blocks to the north side of Finnup Park on the south side.
Section 18, Township 24 South, Range 32 West

     "Mansfield School" {Valentine School}
DAR Marker Number 74; Originally set on the District #51 grounds south of the Trail, it now sits at Valentine School along US 50. US 50 2.3 miles east of Farmland Road, at the Valentine School sign on the south side.
Section 19, Township 24 South, Range 31 West

     "Holcomb" {Sherlock District #2}
DAR Marker Number 75; This Marker sits on the Santa Fe Trail. US 50, truck route to Wiley on the northeast corner of the school grounds.
Section 7, Township 24 South, Range 33 West

"Kearny County"

     "Deerfield"
DAR Marker Number 76; The Marker is in the park along the Trail. US 50 to Main Street, south to 8th, on the northwest corner of Main and 8th.
Section 11, Township 24 South, Range 35 West

     "Indian Mound" {Chauteau's Mound}
DAR Marker Number 77; The Marker sits atop the Mound overlooking what was Chauteau's Island. It was moved here before 1968. The Marker was originally set at Long Rural School, but it was moved several times. Because of that and the historical significance of Indian Mound, this should now be considered an original location. It marks the Mexico/United States border prior to 1846. It commemorates where Auguste P. Chauteau and other French traders, who traveled to Santa Fe long before Becknell, crossed the Jornada. Sibley's party left the river here on September 27, 1825 heading for Taos. US 50 to M23, south 2 1/2 miles enter through the cattle crossing, follow the dirt path 1.8 miles to Indian Mound, signs point the way.
This Marker is on "Private Property" and should be treated as such!
Section 12, Township 25 South, Range 37 West

     "Lakin at the Courthouse"
DAR Marker Number 78; This is another one of the few Markers that has not been moved, it has always sat in front of the Courthouse. It is near the Upper Cimarron Crossings. US 50 to Main Street, south to the Courthouse on the west side of the building.
Section 27, Township 24 South, Range 36 West

     "Lakin at the School"
DAR Marker Number 79; The Marker is on the Santa Fe Trail. US 50 to Campbell, south to the east side of the school grounds by the flag pole.
Section 27, Township 24 South, Range 36 West

     "Hartland"
DAR Marker Number 80; The Marker is on the Trail near the abandon townsite of Hartland, Kansas. US 50 to M23, south 3 miles, west 2.8 miles on a dirt road on the south side by the railroad tracks.
Section 15, Township 25 South, Range 37 West

"Hamilton County"

     "Kendall"
DAR Marker Number 81; Nearby is the beginning of the Aubry Cut-off. The Marker sits 1 block north of the railroad tracks on the Trail. US 50 to A23, south 3/4 mile on the west side of the road.
Section 25, Township 24 South, Range 39 West

     "Syracuse"
DAR Marker Number 82; Originally placed at the Santa Fe Depot, it now sits in front of the Hamilton County Historical Society Museum. US 50, 1/2 block east of the KS 27 Junction on the north side.
Section 7, Township 24 South, Range 40 West

     "Coolidge"
DAR Marker Number 83; This is the last Marker on the Mountain Route in Kansas. It is on the Trail near the railroad tracks, to the west is the infamous Trail City. US 50 and Main Street, southeast corner of the only intersection north of the elevator.
Section 23, Township 23 South, Range 43 West

     "Fort Aubry"
DAR Marker Number 84; Near the abandon rail station of Maline, the Marker sits at the military post established in 1865 to protect the Santa Fe Trail. The dugout Fort was garrisoned for only six months and abandoned in 1866. It has been missed by surveyors several times. US 50 to Road S, south .4 mile, east 1/2, south .2 mile in an abandoned farmyard on the west side of the road.
This Marker is on "Private Property" and should be treated as such!
Section 23, Township 24 South, Range 40 West

     "Aubry Cut-Off" {Fort Aubrey Trail}
DAR Marker Number 84a; The tales this Marker could tell, of life on the high plains, of bitter winters, scorching summers, days of black dust clouds and days of pristine blue skies, from seas of grass to oceans of waving wheat, of being lost then found and being lost again. This Marker partiently waited ninety years for the Daughters. Francis X. Aubry was a Santa Fe trader, who is best remembered for his five day, twenty-two hour Santa Fe to Independence speed record. He searched for a road between the Arkansas and the Cimarron that didn't go through the Jornada. This Marker, commemorating that road, is located between the Fort Aubry Trail and the Aubry Cut-off. It was dedicated and photographed September 23, 1997. When "found" on November 15, 1996, it was lying on its back as it had for about forty years. Though the efforts of the Byrd Prewitt Chapter, DAR, the Wagon Bed Springs Chapter, and the Ebenfleur Community, the Marker was reset in the Ebenfleur Cemetery near its original location. Ruts of the old trail can still be found. Cordry didn't identify this Marker. US 50 to KS 27, south 10 miles to Road 31, east 4 miles to Road S, on the south side in the Ebenfleur Cemetery.
Section 3, Township 26 South, Range 40 West

"Haskell County"

     "Colusa"
DAR Marker Number 85; Originally the Marker was on the county line where the Trail enters, it now sits two miles west at the Koehn Farm. The Marker is another one that looks like it is falling into the ditch but it's been that way for over 40 years. US 50 to the Pierceville Road in Finney County, turns into WW Road in Haskell County, south 12 1/2 miles to 30th Road, continue south another .4 mile on the west side.
Section 15, Township 27 South, Range 31 West

     "Santa Fe, Finney County"
DAR Marker Number 86; The highway department moved this Marker to Garden City from Haskell County in 1956. It sits in a poorly kept roadside park in the northwest part of Garden City away from the Trail. It should be moved back to the Ivanhoe Cemetery area Section 6, Township 28 South, Range 32 West across from its sister Marker #87. The Marker was placed on the Trail in the heart of the Jornada with much ceremony, May 11, 1907. It was north of the abandon townsite of Santa Fe, at one time the county seat of Haskell County. US 50, truck route to VFW Road, in the roadside park on the south.
Section 12, Township 24 South Range 33 West

     "Ivanhoe"
DAR Marker Number 87; The Marker is on the Santa Fe Trail north of the abandoned townsite of Santa Fe near Ivanhoe Cemetery. One of two Markers set in the center of the county, they were dedicated May 11 1907. A history of Haskell County and the Trail was placed in a tin box and set in the cement base of the stones. From Marker #85 continue south on WW Road to 70th Road, west to US 83/US160 Junction.
Section 1, Township 28 South, Range 33 West

"Grant County"

     "Conductor"
DAR Marker Number 88; The Marker, which sits on the Trail, has moved back and forth across the Haskell/Grant County Line several times. It belongs in Haskell County. In September 1997, plans were being made by the Byrd Prewitt Chapter, DAR and the Wagon Bed Spring Chapter, Santa Fe Trail to move the Marker 1/2 mile east to where it belongs, Section 31, Township 28 South, Range 34 West. US 83 to US 160, west 12 miles to Road Y, Grant/Haskell County Line, southwest corner of US 160 and Road Y.
Section 1, Township 29 South, Range 35 West

     "Ryus" {East of Hickok}
DAR Marker Number 89; The Marker is midway between Ryus and Hickok on the Santa Fe Trail. From Marker #88 continue west on US 160 3 miles to Road V, south 1.9 miles on the west side of the road.
Section 9, Township 29 South, Range 35 West

     "Hickok" {South of Hickok}
DAR Marker Number 90; This Marker was placed south of Hickok on the Trail. New landowners want the Marker moved out of their front yard. In September 1997 plans were being made to move it 90 feet to the east of the current location. US 160 to Road R, south 6 miles to Road 19, west 1 1/2 miles on the north side.
Section 34, Township 29 South, Range 36 West

     "Wagonbed Spring"
DAR Marker Number 91; This is a special Marker for Wagon Bed Spring. E. F. Towler had it placed about 50 yards from the Spring. The Spring on the Cimarron River was one of the first watering places after crossing the Jornada, making this a good resting area. Legend has it that the Spring didn't always run, so a wagon would be sunk in the quick sand, allowing water to flow into the bed, hence the name. November, 1996, it has a new base and sits in front of a buffalo cutout at its original location. From Marker #90 continue west on Road 19 to KS 25, south to the Y split keep right on Wagon Bed Spring Road 3.3 miles to the cattle crossing follow the dirt path west .9 mile to the National Historic Site.
Section 33, Township 30 South, Range 37 West

"Stevens County"

     "Zeiler Crossing" {Cimarron River}
DAR Marker Number 92; The Marker overlooks the Cimarron River on the Santa Fe Trail. This is the only Marker in Stevens County. From Marker #91 return to Road 23, head west 5 miles to Road E, south 2 miles to Road 25, Grant County, or Road DD Stevens County, west .6 mile to Road 6N, south 2 miles to Road BB, west 1 mile to Road 5N, south 2 miles to Road Z, east .2 mile on the south side.
Section 29, Township 31 South, Range 38 West

"Morton County"

     "Richfield" {Morton/Stevens County Line}
DAR Marker Number 93; The Marker is east of Richfield on the Trail. It sits on an out of the way corner, hidden periodically in sunflowers. Another one of those, find me if you can Markers. From Marker #92 continue west on Road Z to Road 1, Stevens County, Road 28 in Morton County, south 4 miles to V Road, northwest corner of V and 28 Roads.
Section 9, Township 32 South, Range 39 West

     "Rolla" {South of Richfield}
DAR Marker Number 94; The Marker was placed on the Trail north of Rolla. From Marker #93 continue west on V Road 2 miles to 26 Road, south one mile to U Road, west 3 miles to KS 51, south 2 miles, southeast corner of KS 51 and S Road.
Section 35, Township 32 South, Range 40 West

     "Wilburton" {Mid-Morton County}
DAR Marker Number 94a; The Marker sits on the Trail, visible ruts are nearby. Santa Fe Trail markers adjoin the site, midway between Richfield and Wilburton, in the Cimarron National Grasslands. This is another Marker that Cordry didn't identify. From Marker #94 west on Road S 7 miles to Road 16, south 4.1 miles on the east side.
Section 22, Township 33 South, Range 41 West

     "Point of Rocks" {Mesa Blanco}
DAR Marker Number 95; Fred G. Glenn, county clerk, reported to George W. Martin, Secretary of the Kansas Historical Society that the Morton County Commissioneers assumed the expense of transporting the stones from the railroad and setting them. "The markers are located, one on the east county line and one on the west line, or where the trail leaves the state. There is one located very near the center of the county, and the other two at places between these where they will most likely be seen. The trail for the first twelve miles in this county is all together, except for a short distance about five miles from the east line, where there is a short branch to the Cimarron river for water. For the remainder of the distance across the county there are practically two trails, one keeping parallel with the river at a distance of two miles, or about that. There are connecting roads every few miles, and appearances indicate the main trail for the last one-third of the way across the county to be on the river-bottom" It should be remembered that in those days the railroad was a distance of about sixty-five miles. The Markers were delivered by wagon which exemplifies the interest and efforts of the people of Morton County to mark the Trail.

     Unbeknownst to the Daughters three of the Morton County Markers sat in Richfield for a number of years. In a letter dated December 27, 1912, Lavinia J. Smyser, of Pawnee Rock fame, writes to Lillie E. Guernsey, State Regent, that her son has seen these Markers in Richfield and "one was injured by someone who had built a fire to near" In January 1914 Mrs. Guernsey, not being satisfied with the written responses, traveled to Morton County to see why the Markers had not been set. Being a rather formidable lady, we don't know what transpired when she arrived.

     A letter from E. M. Dean, dated November 26, 1914, may say it all, "The marker set a "Point of Rocks" was the last one to be set in this county, and I presume the last one in the State of Kansas, These markers were sent to Morton county several years ago and three of them were placed the other two, that is the one at Point of Rocks, and the one on the State line were not placed until last spring, when myself and a few others in this county interested ouselves in getting them properly located.

     The Stone was set at Point of Rocks on the 26th day of April, 1914. It is placed on a rocky point about 50 feet above the river on the north bank of the Cimarron River, and about 1/2 way up the Bluff that constitutes the "Point of Rocks." On the cement base the following inscriptions appear. Mo River 550 Miles, Santa Fe 226 Miles Surveyed in Sept 1825. Also on the cement base is the Square and Compass with the letter G in the center, this you of course know is the emblem of the Masonic Fraternity, and was placed on this base for the reason that Msrs Thomas, Brite, Wilson and myself happen to be "Masons."

     Point of Rocks is the first bluff found on the River in going west, it is a sharp rocky point very steep and 108 feet above the water level of the Cimarron River. The place called "Middle Spring" is a spring 1/2 mile east by north of of the Point, is was a noted Land Mark and the only spring in what is now Morton County."

     The Marker was reset in approximately the original location at Point of Rocks in time for the 1997 Santa Fe Trail Symposium. It was dedicated September 25, 1997 in memory of Fannie Geiger Thompson, Emma Hills Stanley, Zu Adams, Grace Meeker, and Isabelle Cone Harvey, without whose untiring efforts the Santa Fe Trail through Kansas would not have been marked by the DAR.

     Enter the Grasslands at KS 27 entrance north of Elkhart, Kansas, follow the gravel road to Point of Rocks, the Marker is on the interpretative trail below the Point, you must walk down a steep incline to view the Marker.
Section 12, Township 34 South, Range 43 West

     "State Line"
DAR Marker Number 96; We have no interesting tales about the State Line Marker. We assume its sigificance is that it markes the Kansas boundary on the Old Trail. Originally set in 1914, the Marker was moved to a more accessible location along KS 27. This is where Traffas and Coupal found it and wondered why. A few inquires later, the U. S. Forest Service had it moved back to the State Line in time for the 1997 Symposium. It is in an undeveloped section of the Grasslands but accessible for the adventruous. A corner is broken off probably due to a ligtening strike. It has a new base and was dedicated September 25, 1997. Enter the Grasslands at the KS 27 entrance north of Elkhart, follow the gravel road 12 miles past Murphy Trail Head, be aware of the poisonous gas wells in the area, turn south at the State line .2 mile on the east side in Kansas. You must crawl through the fence and walk to the Marker!
Section 7, Township 34 South, Range 43 West

"Rice, County"

     "Rice County 175th Anniversary"
DAR Marker Number 97; This Marker was decdicated with a bit of ceremony during the Kansas Historical Society's "42 Days Along the Trail" programs in July, 1996 and again during Fall Tour 1996 with the Historian General, Jane Rehl, in attendance. The Marker was placed on the Ralph Hathaway farm at the site commonly known as Ralph's Ruts, where seven undisturbed swales remain. It commemorates the 175th Anniversary of the Santa Fe Trail and the stewardship of the Trail. The 1867 Huning massacre occurred in the vicinity. US 56 to 4th Road, north 3/4 mile on the east side.
Section 34, Township 19 South, Range 10 West

Back to Research Articles




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"