From the Little to the Big Arkansas
The Santa Fe Trail
Across Rice County, Kansas
- The Blazer, Windom, Kansas, May 2, 1932. Coronado/Quivira Museum files. Lyons, Kansas
- Kansas Post Offices, Robert W. Baughman, May 29, 1928 to August 3, 1961. Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, 1961.
- The Ellinwood Leader, Twentieth Century Souvenir Volume VII, Number 40, Ellinwood, Kansas, Thursday, December 19, 1901.
- The Personal Memoirs of Capt. Chas. Christy, Captain Charles Christy, The State Historical Society of Colorado, Trail Volume I, Number 9, (January, 1909).
- The Commerce of the Prairies, Josiah Gregg, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1967.
- Trader on the Santa Fe Trail, Memoirs of Franz Huning, Franz Huning, with notes by his granddaughter Lina Fergusson Browne, The University of Albuquerque, Calvin Horn Publisher, Inc. Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Larry Jochims, Research Historian, Kansas State Historical Society. Letter Dated March 24, 1981, to Raymond Olson, Kansas Department of Transportation, Topeka, Kansas. Coroando/Quivira Museum files, Lyons, Kansas.
- The Story of Early Rice County, Horace Jones, First Edition, December 1928. Book in my libary.
- The Story of Early Rice County, Horace Jones, second publication, April, 1959. Published by Paul E. Jones, Lyons Daily News Plant, Lyons, Kansas.
- Up from the Sod, Horace Jones, Coronado Publishers, Inc., Lyons, Kansas 1968.
- Bent's Fort, David Lavender, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1954.
- Rice County 1876, John Muscott, from The History of Rice County by John Muscott, Rice County Gazette, March 30, 1876, edited and reprinted by Max Moxley, Editor, Sterling Bulletin, Sterling, Kansas, July 4, 1976
- Adventures on the Santa Fe Trail, Leo E. Oliva, selected papers from the Santa Fe Trail Symposium, Hutchinson, Kansas, September 24/26, 1987, edited by Leo E. Oliva, Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kansas.
- Information compiled, by Leo E. Oliva and used on group tour of the Stone Corral area during the Santa Fe Trail Symposium, September 24/26, 1987.
- The New Mexican Historical Review, Fred S. Perrine, "Military Escorts of the Santa Fe Trail", July 1928.
- Private Laws of the Territory of Kansas, 1858.
- Rice County Clippings Book, Volume 2, Kansas State Historical Society Library, Topeka, Kansas.
- Following the Santa Fe Trail, An International Incident, 1843, Marc Simmons, Ancient City Press, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1984.
- The Road to Santa Fe, Hobert E. Stocking, Hastings House Publishers, New York, 1971.
Used With Permission of the Author:
Back to Main Article
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.