The Plaza in Santa Fe New Mexico marks the official western end of the Santa Fe Trail. The Plaza, dating back to the founding of the city of Santa Fe by the Spaniards in 1610, has been designated as a Registered National Historic Landmark, a plaque mounted near the center of the Plaza is witness to this.
In the earliest days of the Santa Fe trade, Missouri merchants unloaded and sold their wares here in the open air. But soon they began to rent space for stores in the rambling adobe buildings surrounding the Plaza. Located in the southeast corner of the plaza is the official Daughters of the American Revolutaion, End of the Trail Monument. To the north side of the Plaza is the Palace of the Governors. Across the street to the southeast is the La Fonda Hotel, this historic building, rebuilt in the 1920's, was known as the Inn at the End of theTrail. The original adobe building played host to some of the best known persons who came over the Santa Fe Trail.
In the Santa Fe area there are at least twenty major Historic sites to see and visit.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.