"Fort Fletcher, Kansas"
USGS Aerial Photograph

Fort Fletcher, Kansas

     The first location of Fort Hays was called Fort Fletcher and was established October 11, 1865. Fort Fletcher was abandoned on May 5, 1866. On October 17, 1866 Fort Fletcher was regarrisoned by Company C, Third U.S. Infantry. The second site was located several hundred yards northeast of the first location, on the right bank of the North Fork of Big Creek. Fort Fletcher became Fort Hays on November 17, 1866. This location on Big Creek was prone to flooding and was moved to it's present location. The present Fort Hays at Hays, Kansas was officially occupied on June 23, 1867.

Fort Fletcher, Kansas




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"