Fort Hays, Ellis County, Kansas on the Fort Hays/Fort Dodge Road. Fort Hays was relocated to this location as a U. S. Army post in June 1867 from it's original location on Big Creek south of Walker, Kansas. The first location was called Fort Fletcher and was established October 11, 1865. Fort Fletcher was abandoned on May 5, 1866. On October 17, 1866 Fort Fletcher was regarrisoned by Company C, Third U.S. Infantry. The second site was located several hundred yards northeast of the first location, on the right bank of the North Fork of Big Creek. Fort Fletcher became Fort Hays on November 17, 1866. This location on Big Creek was prone to flooding and was moved to it's present location south of Hays, Kansas, this site was officially occupied on June 23, 1867.
The Old Fort Hays Cemetery sets about one mile to the northwest of the fort site. In the photo it is the square in the center of the USGS photo. The soldiers who died were buried in this post cemetery and later removed along with others interred there, to the natinal cemetery at Fort Leavenworth several years after Fort Hays was abandoned. Nothing remains at the site today.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.