The old Fort Wallace Cemetery, including a monument erected by soldiers in 1867 to honor their fallen commrades, is enclosed with a stone wall in the Wallace Township Cemetery.
The cenotaph, erected in the Fort Wallace cemetery in 1867 to honor the soldiers of the Third Infantry and Seventh Cavalry who were killed by Indians in the vicinity, still stands inside the rock wall that was built around the post cemetery. It was constructed of stone from the quarry that was utilized in the construction of the stone buildings erected at Fort Wallace.
During the spring of 1886 the remains of eighty-eight soldiers were moved from the Fort Wallace cemetery to the national cemetery at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Although the soldiers' remains were removed to the Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery after Fort Wallace was abandoned, civilian graves remain. Beside the old post cemetery is the modern cemetery for the Wallace, Kansas area.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.