When first established in September of 1865, this post was called Camp Pond Creek. It was located near the Pond Creek Station on the Butterfield Overland Despatch Route, several miles west of the later location on Pond Creek, a tributary of the Smoky Hill River. It was soon moved to a new site on the north side of the Smoky Hill. The fort was named for General William H. L. Wallace who died April 10, 1862, from wounds received at the Battle of Shiloh. Fort Wallace was the westernmost and last permanent fort established in the State of Kansas, and from 1865 to 1878 was one of the most active posts in the Indian wars.
It has been stated that "the small garrisons at Fort Wallace participated in more actual engagements with the Indians and were sent to the relief of more scout and escort parties than the soldiers from any other post in Kansas."
The fort was abandoned on May 31, 1882, but some troops remained at the post through the fall. The Fort Wallace Military Reservation was transferred to the Department of the Interior for sale as public lands in July 1884. The site of Fort Wallace today is on private property and should be treated as such.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.