Early geologists declared that the water originated in the Rockies and followed a fault line to this location. Wagon travelers claimed it tasted like mountain water. In the late 1840's the army planted water cress and strawberries around the spring hoping soldiers on patrol would eat them and thus prevent scurvy.
In 1849 George Smith built a stage station, hotel and tavern. The station with is sod roof was on a knoll south east of the present county road.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.