"Old Fort Hays, Kansas"
USGS Aerial Photograph

Old Fort Hays, Walker, Kansas

     The second site was located several hundred yards north-northeast of the first location, on the right bank of the North Fork of Big Creek. Fort Fletcher became Fort Hays on November 17, 1866. This location on Big Creek was prone to flooding and was moved to it's present location. The present Fort Hays at Hays, Kansas was officially occupied on June 23, 1867.

Old Fort Hays, Walker, Kansas




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"