"Lost Springs, Kansas DAR Marker"
on the
Santa Fe Trail

Lost Springs Kansas DAR Marker

     This plaque is on the marker placed by the Wichita, Kansas Chapter of the DAR from the city of Park, Kansas, on November 14, 1908. Mrs. W. E. Stanley, during whose Regency the Santa Fe Trail was marked, was a member of this Chapter and the marker was placed in her honor. It is a large stone, with one of the Bronze plaques. Lost Spring trail site is actually 2 1/2 miles west of the village of Lost Springs, Kansas, it was a major watering place and campground. The Spring failed to flow at certain times of the year or it could have been covered by the Indians to discourage the Whiteman from crossing the Plains. There was something mysterious about it running for some and dry for others. During the 1840's the Army planted watercress and strawberries to supplement the military diet and help prevent scurvy. The watercress still grows today. Later, a hotel and tavern were built near this location. The area became known for its illicit activities, at least 11 murders occurred here. The bronze plaque was cleaned and reglazed and the marker was rededicated Sepember 27, 1996. US 56/77 to Lost Springs, Chicago Avenue, north on Smith to the City Park.

Old Lost Springs, Kansas Photo's




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"