Santa Fe Trail Pictures
Little Red House
Photo's Courtesy of Leo & Bonita Oliva

The Little Red House Marker Text
     "This house has been reconstructed to represent Larned's first building constructed in 1869 as the sutler's mess hall at Fort Larned. In the Spring of 1872 the structure was moved by Post Trader Henry Booth to a site two blocks south of this location. The building served a number of functions: residence, post office, hotel, restaurant, saloon, dance hall, brothel, church, school, and courtroom. As one of the few public houses in early Larned, it accomodated a profusion of emigrants. Isabel Worrall, Larned's first school teacher, stated the legand that no one could qualify as an 1873 settler of Pawnee County who had not at some time lived in what she called the little red house."

     Larned's first building has been replicated by David & Alice Clapsaddle, at a location about two blocks north of the site used by Booth in 1872.

     Here is the exciting news! The Little Red House has been donated to the Fort Larned Old Guard to hold for Fort Larned National Historic Site and the Larned community, to serve as an interpretive site for special programs for visitors of all ages! David Clapsaddle and wife Alice have donated this structure, the artifacts in the building, and the property it sits on to the Old Guard.

"Click On The Photo To Get A Larger View"

Little Red House Exterior

Little Red Outhouse

Little Red House Exterior

Little Red House Interior

Little Red House Interior

Little Red House Interior

Bedroom

Bedroom

Bedroom




Santa Fe Trail Research Site

Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.
© "Forever"