In June 1869, Henry Booth arrived at Fort Larned as the newly licensed post trader. Shortly thereafter, he was appointed postmaster. In January 1872, member of the Fort Larned Town Company met in Booth's Fort Larned home to select a site for their proposed town; and in April 1872, Booth moved the sutler's mess house from the post down the south bank of the Pawnee River and floated it across the swollen stream to a location now occupied by Schnack Lowery Park. The little structure was the first building in the fledgling town of Larned, Kansas serving as post office, residence, saloon, dance hall, and school. In 1874, the building was moved to 5th and Main Streets to be used as a carpenter's shop. Later, it housed a newspaper office, the U.S. Land Office, and a blacksmith shop.
To initiate the tour, proceed southwest on S.W. Trail Street (U.S. 56) to the last intersection before reaching the Pawnee River bridge. At this intersection which is unmarked, turn right one half block to Site #1 of this tour which is situated on the left side of the street. The site is identified by a free-standing limestone post marker.
Other Markers by the Wet/Dry Routes Chapter
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.