With their indepth research of the Santa Fe Trail, the Wet/Dry Routes Chapter felt some sites and trails needed more information. With this in mind the Chapter has placed in prominent locations along the Santa Fe Trail, "Interpretive Markers" to do just that. On these pages you will find a photo of the markers and the text placed on them.
The Mountain Route
SANTA FE TRAIL
South of this point was the Santa Fe Trail's Cimarron crossing of the Arkansas River. Nearby was a ranche which served as a stage station. The enterprise was established by William and Frank Hartwell and several other investors in 1866. Later, it was operated by Robert Wright and A. J. Anthony until 1868 when the continuous threat of Indian attacks forced it to be abandoned.
In conjunction with the Fort Dodge/Dodge City/Cimarron Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail, markers have been placed at the Cimarron crossing of the Arkansas River in present Gray County, Kansas.
The Markers are located one mile west of Cimarron, Kansas on the north side of U. S. 50/400.
The Cimarron Crossing originated in 1851 superseding another crossing a few miles up stream sometimes called the Arkansas crossing. At the Cimarron crossing, wagons forded the Arkansas River to begin a sixty mile trek southwest to the Cimarron River. Near the crossing a trading ranche served as a stage station. Established in 1865 by Frank and William Hartwell, it was later operated by Robert Wright and A. J. Anthony.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.