At the center of Main Street in Franklin, Missouri a marker sits that on one side has inscribed on it "The End Of The Boone's Lick Road", on the other side it states, "The Beginning of the Santa Fe Trail".
Located on the north end of the Boonville Bridge across the Missouri River on the east side of the highway is a marker commemorating the site where the trail first began in 1821 in Old Franklin.
The marker for this site is located on the north side of Highway Z about eight tenths of a mile west of the junction with Highway 87, near this historic farmstead.
Opposite the mouth of Arrow Rock Creek and a few miles northwest of Boone's Lick is the location of this fort. The marker is about one mile west of the community of Petersburg on the left side of the gravel road.
The marker at this site is said to have been moved two times, but it is now located in the triangle entrance to the town.
Phillip Thompson a Santa Fe Trader, built a house by this name. It was also called Whitehall Inn. The marker for this location is on Highway 41 one mile west of Arrow Rock.
"Neff or Nave Place"
This Tavern and later a Stage Station is the namesake of this marker. To get to this marker go east of Marshall about eight miles to a bridge, there is a brick house on the left, and turn right on a gravel road then turn left on the first old road. The marker is about one half mile on the south side of the road.
In Marshall, on the northwest corner of the courthouse square is where this DAR Marker is located.
Military detachments used the place called Kiser's Spring during the Mexican and Civil Wars, it is located on the south side of Salt Fork Creek. The marker is about half way between Marshall and Malta Bend.
At a bend in the Missouri River in 1841 a steamboat by this name sank. The marker for this location is on Highway 65, about ten miles west of Marshall.
Was a crossing of the Missouri River by the Indians if the river was running low on water. The marker is on Highway 65 fourteen miles west of Marshall.
This River Port for cargo going to the west on the Santa Fe Trail is the location of a marker across the street from the post office in town.
This once Stage Stop two miles west of Waverly. Go two miles west of WAverly, turn left on Highway 23 and go eight tenths of a mile to County Road 473, turn right, and the marker is about seven tenths of a mile on the north side of the road.
Located in Terre Beau Grove and once a stop over for religious services. The marker is in Lion's Park on the west edge of the town of Dover.
The marker at this site is said to have washed out in a flood and was moved by the DAR to the site of the Madonna of the Trail in Lexington at Highland and Broadway Streets.
At the park on the south side of Highway 224, seven tenths of a mile west of the Madonna Statue is the location of this marker.
On the north side of Highway 224, east of the Junction with Highway 131 is the marker location.
This marker is located south of Napoleon, south from Highway 24 on Highway D, nine tenths of a mile.
In Levasy, go past the railroad tracks and turn left onto Old Lexington Road, The marker is on the right.
On the northwest corner of the School at the junction of Highway 24 and Buckner/Tarsney Road is the marker location.
This government trading house for Indians and a military post was established in 1808 and was the starting point of the Sibley Survey on the the Santa Fe Trail in 1825. The marker is located on the high bluffs on the Missouri River on the east side of the Sibley Cemetery near Fort Osage.
"Six Mile Church"
This location was so named because of its location alont the west side of a six mile area of protection given by Fort Osage against the Indians. The marker is located on Blue Mills Road west of the Fort Osage/Sibley turnoff.
This marker is five miles east of Independence Square on Highway 24 at Blue Mills Road. This is straight west of Buckner on Highway 24.
At this site was the location of major outfitters of the Santa Fe Trail and also the Oregon and California Travelers. This marker is in the courthouse square in downtown Independence.
"Aunt Sophy's Kitchen"
The marker is at 66th street and Blue Ridge Bolvard in Raytown.
This watering hole for travelers on the trail is the location of a marker on 72nd and Blue Ridge Bolvard in Raytown near Cave Springs.
"Hughes Bryant's Farm"
This marker has also been moved two times to get out of the way of highway construction, it now sits at Benjamin Stables.
This site of a major crossing of the Blue River is the location of this marker, in Minor Park at 110th and Red Bridge Road in Kansas City. Minor Park has an excellent set of wagon ruts.
"New Santa Fe"
As the Trail crossed the line from Missouri into Kansas this town sprung up. The marker is located in the northeast corner of 122nd and State Line Road in Kansas City.
Santa Fe Trail Research Site
"E-Mail & Home Page"
Larry & Carolyn
St. John, Ks.